7 May 2009

do it and tell me why

I read few days ago a news about Ekaterina Maximova, the Russian ballerina who died on April 28. The news was very interesting, she is interesting! but besides her talent and the curiosity I got about her after reading, something stuck on my mind and two days ago my teacher said the same sentence in the class... Ekaterina worked as teacher as well as dancer and she explained how important is to talk to the pupils and to encourage them to try their own ideas, "but they must be able to tell me why".

On Tuesday this week, I had an interim presentation about the work we are doing to hand in on 8th June, so I came with the toy I have been building and I showed to the class. I am planning to make a film with it representing an ordinary journey of this character throughout the city, choosing the way to cycle guided by the sound of the environment. I must confess that I wasn't prepared enough as I should be for that day, so after I talked about my idea, the tutor and my classmates started asking me many things about the work and how it is going to be concluded. They couldn't understand the reason of the existence of the toy and what is the relationship with the movie I described to them and blah blah blah… Of course, they are not seeing the whole thing, the film will tell you the story I am just depicting.. and the toy is the main character.. and well… is quite easy for me to understand, but I realized that I should have showed them some pictures as well, or something else to help them to visualize.

That was my fault, I know. However, two things keep intriguing me about that discussion in class and that is why I am writing here. One is, of course, that the presentation is so important as well as the work, and I have to be considerably more prepared next time, be better organized and sketch the sequence of what I will show first and what I intend to say with it. (also, I must look up some words on the dictionary that I might use there, considering that English is not my mother tongue.. I came very relaxed for this presentation and I stuck in some stupid words like: train, environment.. ridiculous!)

And second, well, I am still thinking of it..
I must say, at the end, the presentation was quite good, even not perfect; I could say, not everything I wished, but most of it, and was not so bad. But I confess I got a bit surprised with those question and the curiosity about the reason of making the toy to represent my idea.. (the teacher suggested only exhibit the sound of the journey and take the toy out of the way) heheh, I found that funny for the simple reason that, in fact, I can't understand either why people want to represent the reality of a particular environment or better saying, transpose the environment to another without any imaginative element that represents the concept of what you aim to state. I am not judging the idea, but the point of what exactly intrigues us; it is easier to understand a work that shows us something real (or the representation of the reality), but not easy when we abstract the shapes and figures. For me, imagination and illusion is the simple answer… I see infinite meanings of doing an imaginative work...

Nevertheless, I completely agreed that we must be able to understand what we are doing and be able to discuss it, so that is why, at the end, I liked our discussion on class. I hope I will be better prepared next time to face a longer argumentation...

Check the famous toy on my flicker:






3 comments:

carol de marchi said...

so cute!
i wanna ride with it ;)

eneida Serrano said...

I can see you doing these pictures!

It must've been funny!

camila said...

eCAteRINA do balé mecânico, I can't explain! I'm also trying to work on communication to benefit from other people's opinion. Perhaps something like a brain map...
* sempre dou uma olhadinha aqui pra matar a saudade
Camila